City of Gold Bar
Public Works Director
Employer: City of Gold Bar
Location: Gold Bar, Snohomish County, WA
Job Category: Public Works
Employment Type: Full Time, Salaried
Salary and Benefits: $60,000 – $67,200 beginning annual salary, DOE; full benefits
Start Date: February 1, 2019
Position Open Until Filled
Under direction of the Mayor of Gold Bar, the Public Works Director is responsible for the administration, maintenance, and operation of the City’s water system; streets; parks; storm water facilities; building and land use; and general maintenance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Direct and supervise water and maintenance employees in the day-to-day activities of Streets, Storm Water, Parks, and Water systems and other job duties as required.
- Plan and prioritize maintenance to address deficiencies, preventative maintenance, and safety hazards.
- Responsible for building inspections, plan review, land use applications, critical areas, code enforcement, shoreline management, and compliance with all applicable federal, state, county, and local regulations related to building, planning, and development.
- Responsible for the development, review, amendments, and compliance with state, county, and local regulations for comprehensive plans, shoreline management plans, water comprehensive plans, critical areas regulations, and other such developmental or growth management plans as required.
- Responsible for all tasks, requirements, compliance, and regulations associated with the operating of the City’s water system.
- Work with the hearing examiner; federal, state, county, and local agencies; contractors; consultants; auditors; and other entities as required.
- Work with federal, state, county, and local agencies for grant development, applications, monitoring, and adherence to grant requirements.
- Work with federal, state, county, and local agencies on capital projects, including the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for capital projects.
- Obtain and hold such certifications as required such as a commercial driver’s license.
- Ability to work with the general public, including handling complaints and inquiries in a professional manner.
- Ability to respond to, and deal with, emergencies.
- Knowledge of budgets, including the ability to work with the City Treasurer in the creation of budgets, monitoring of expenditures, and the ability to work within a budget.
- Responsible for attending Council meetings two evenings a month or more frequently if required, and for updating and reporting to the Mayor and Council.
- Maintain records that meet the State’s record retention policies and audit requirements.
- Inspect work of employees, crews and contractors to assure quality standards and safety procedures are met.
- Supervise specific staff including establishing work rules and performance standards, monitoring training needs, performing annual evaluations, and monitoring adherence to the City’s Personnel Manual.
- Knowledge of the Public Records Act and public records requirements.
Skills and Abilities (preferred or able to easily learn in a timely manner):
- Computer skills including word processing, email functions, Excel, and the ability to easily learn specific software programs related to job duties, such as water systems.
- Operation and maintenance of equipment.
- Skills in supervision.
- Skills in operating within a budget.
- Organizational skills.
- Ability to work with the general public and staff in professional and courteous manner.
- Understanding of local government.
- Punctuality and reliability
- High School graduate or GED.
- Minimum of five (5) years relevant experience.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Washington State Water Distribution Manager II.
- Commercial Driver’s License or ability to obtain one within six (6) months of hire date.
- Flagging Certification or ability to obtain one within six (6) months of hire date.
- Trench Certification or ability to obtain one within six (6) months of hire date.
- Computer skills.
Work is conducted in both an office and a field environment. The job functions require the ability to safely move about on construction or maintenance sites under inclement weather at any hour of day or night, and may require walking on uneven, rocky, or rough ground. Such physical exposure may require the ability to reach, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Physical hazards include exposure to traffic, heavy equipment, noise, dust, and debris. Job functions also require the ability to sit at a desk and/or in front of a computer screen.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The City of Gold Bar is an equal employment opportunity employer. The City employs, retains, promotes, disciplines, and otherwise treats all employees and job applicants strictly on the basis of job-related qualifications and competence. These policies and all employment practices shall be applied without regard to any individual’s gender, race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sexual orientation (including gender identity), pregnancy, age, marital status, military status, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed. The employee occupying the position will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by the Mayor.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the City and the employee, once hired, and is subject to change as the needs of the City and requirements of the job change.
For questions or to apply:
Contact Office Manager Denise Beaston with questions, or to request an application. Submit the application along with a letter of interest and resume, including references, to Ms. Beaston.
Gold Bar City Hall
107 5th St.
Gold Bar, WA 98251
Office Manager Email: email@example.com